Friday, March 30, 2012

Totally Radical 80's-Inspired Birthday Party!

I have been meaning to share these photos for (literally) months now.

My sister-in-law, Emily, asked me to design a party for her husband's 30th birthday based on an 80's theme.   It was a complete honor - especially since Emily is a known photographer and has been featured quite a few times for her skill and talent. I was pumped for these photos before the party was even set up! It's was quite the journey, since first researching ideas and coming up with ways to execute it all. The preparation was fun, especially scoring some sweet finds at my favorite thrift store and just about every Goodwill I could find. I was so fortunate to have help from so many people (see credits below!).. There's no way I could have done it alone. I think it's because I choose the DIY route every single time. Definitely more work, but I'd like to think it's worth the quality and time and detail I try to put in, especially for being on a budget! Setup was pretty crazy.. good crazy. The event was held at The Chatterbox in St. Paul, a totally retro hangout/restaurant with loads of vintage board games and old video game systems. The servers and other customers walking by would keep peeking into the party room and stop with their mouths open - I am pretty sure it's mostly because there was SO much decor in that small party room - including 3 different garlands, a photo booth, trivia game, buffet tables, seated tables with centerpieces, big-screen Nintendo and a crazy amount of vintage 80's props. I had a pretty rad 80's playlist going.. full of just about every good 80's hit I could find. Everyone seemed to have a really fun time!

I just about died when I found out the party was going to be featured on one of my favorite party sites - Hostess with the Mostess! Check it out HERE

Feast your eyes on these totally awesome party photos, dudes!

The invites were pretty fun! They resembled an old video game cartridge and were made by Emily's friend, Dena Swenson. 
Party favors - full of the birthday guy's favorite retro candies, including Pop Rocks, Nerds, Razzles, Pixie Stix, Laffy Taffy, Gobbstoppers and suckers


Food by The Chatterbox - delicious!

Retro fabrics + slinkies + cassette tape

Trolls + A-tracks
One of the party activities - Aaron Trivia! 



One of my favorite garlands I've made for a party.. Pac-man! 



Made this cassette garland out of about 100 tapes I found at various Goodwills. Took a little extra detail to spray paint them, especially since most of the labels were still shining through. They were really heavy to hang as well. 
Gaudy neons + Zubaz-inspired prints

Photo Booth set up with one of Emily's camera's and a remote. It worked so well!





Chatterbox set up a huge screen and Nintendo for guests to play - huge hit!

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails