Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Soundtracks: The Perfect Score

It's really hard to narrow it down to my all-time favorite film scores, but of the many I love , these 5 are absolutely phenomenal. These scores couldn't be MORE different from each other in genre/style, but beginning to end - I love them all.

If you have never seen Requiem for a Dream, I'm not quite sure I'd like to be the one to say, "Go see it!!!". It's exhaustively heavy and realistic about the effects of drugs and addiction. The score totally compliments the movie's intensity with a mix of electronic beats/synth/strings. It's gorgeous, mysterious and motivates paranoia at the same time.

Requiem for a Dream
Check it Out
Featuring: Music by Clint Mansell


I posted a while back about how bad Justin and I wanted to see Inception, and it was as good as we hoped it would be - if not more. The score totally pumped up the suspense with the booming strings and constant movement. It's sweet, yet twisted. Just listening to it, practically has me on the edge of my seat.

Inception
Check it Out
Featuring: Music by Hans Zimmer

I have recently fallen in love with the Friday Night Lights soundtrack/score. Since Justin and I were first dating (almost 7 years ago), I knew how much he loved the movie and the music in it. As the movie is mega inspirational with a few sports-fan cliches, the score totally fits. It's psychedelic, therapeutic and contemplative. The whole score plays as almost one unified track, building and decreasing with the key points in the film. In the words of my husband, "it says a lot without saying anything". Amen!


Friday Night Lights
Check it Out
Featuring: Music by Explosions in the Sky, Daniel Lanois & David Torn

Atonement is one of the sweetest, romance/war movies I've seen in a pretty long time. I saw it in theaters a couple times and absolutely loved it. I usually could care less to watch Keira Knightly talking, but I found the score so beyond intriguing and tragic. As the movie is about a letter, typed on a typewriter, throughout the entire score is a compilation of typewriter sounds fused with piano and strings. I thought it was really original and refreshing. I can't help listening to this score and feeling like I need to problem-solve or cry myself to sleep. It's simply amazing.

Atonement
Check it Out
Featuring: Music by Dario Marianelli and Jean-Yves Thibaudet

One of my all-time favorite scores to enjoy while I'm reading is Lady in the Water. Unlike many people who saw the movie, I LOVED it. Yeah, M. Night Shyamalan has totally lost credibility over his last few films, but this one oh-so breathtaking. It has a constant mystical/magical/imaginative, find-what-you're-looking-for attitude, with a sort of mysterious energy. I think I have this on default every time I'm sinking into my Twilight novels.


Lady in the Water
Check it Out
Featuring: Music by James Newton Howard, A Whisper in the Noise, Amanda Ghost and Silvertide



xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails