Sunday, February 6, 2011

Recipe: Stuffed Shells

My sweet, little mom is one of the best cooks I know. I couldn't possibly be more blessed with an abundance of mouth-watering recipes and knowledge, thanks to her. For dinner the other night, I made one of my favorite recipes of hers.. Stuffed Shells. It's so delish, I thought I'd share.

Stuffed Shells
To get started, boil a box of large pasta shells. Meanwhile, fry a pound of beef with with minced onion and garlic powder. After you drain, combine meat with a jar of traditional Prego and about 3/4 cup brown sugar and simmer for a few minutes. I am a nerd who loves (and I mean, LOVES) brown sugar. I add brown sugar every time I make spaghetti, chili, baked beans.. you name it. Be sure to rinse your shells with cold water. In a 9x13 dish, cover the bottom with a little of your sauce.


(My little cooking buddy)
As your sauce continues to simmer, combine 1-1.5 cups mozzarella cheese, 1 beaten egg, 1 Tbsp season salt and 1 Tbsp garlic powder. Add to sauce.


Fill each shell meat sauce and arrange in dish, facing up. Be careful, the shells love to stick together/tear and the sauce will be hot.




Cover stuffed shells with remaining 1-1.5 cups mozzarella cheese.



Cover with tinfoil/aluminum foil and bake 50-60 minutes at 350°F [Be sure not to over-bake.]


I love to serve this with New York-brand "Five Cheese Texas Toast". Oh man, the best.



Stuffed Shells:
1 box jumbo pasta shells
1 large jar Prego Italian Sauce
1 small/med. onion, minced
1 lb. ground beef
3/4 c. brown sugar (to taste)
2-3 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
1-2 eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp season salt
2 Tbsp garlic powder

Fry beef with onion and 1 Tbsp garlic powder. Drain. Add Prego and simmer.

Boil shells and rinse with cold water.

In a bowl, mix well: 1/2 of mozzarella cheese, beaten egg(s), season salt and remaining garlic powder. Combine with meat sauce.

In a 9x13 pan/dish, cover the bottom with a little sauce. Fill each shell with sauce and place in dish, facing up. Cover with remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 50-60 minutes @ 350°F.


xo

1 comment:

  1. Mmm...delicious. This makes me want to 1) hang out with you again and 2) make this for dinner soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails