Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Throw A Stranger An Unexpected Smile --

I can't even describe how amazing it is to see Imogen Heap perform. Her music is like nothing else! Justin and I had the best time, an adventure of course. We left Greenville early in the afternoon to head down to Atlanta to the Variety Playhouse where she was performing with Back Ted N-Ted and Tim Exile. Of course, I had to check the weather, knowing that we would be waiting outside the venue doors for HOURS before the show, and we had to be prepared. Weather report: 47 degrees and nonstop rain. Eugh, typical.


[We arrived at the Variety Playhouse around 3:30pm - TOTALLY WORTH IT!]


[Luckily we had our tickets for months before the show!]

We actually made pretty good time, which helped with my anxious excitement to just get there! What we thought would be a soggy, miserable, boring wait, ended up being quite eventful! When we first arrived, we were surprised to see that no one else was waiting outside the doors (which were locked), but it was perfectly fine with us. We found a nice little spot to lean up against the wall and made ourselves comfortable for the next 4.5 hours. Within the first 45 minutes of sitting there, a man and women walk right out of the front doors we were posted at. Within a half-a-second, I realized it. IT WAS IMOGEN! What was she doing walking out the front of this place?! Was she coming back through the front?! Ah!! It was cool, because we noticed the man she was walking quickly with was holding a Bible under his arm. Wide-eyed, I vow to Justin, "If she comes back through the front, I HAVE to get a picture with her!!! Get ready, baby!" A little time went by, we were pretty occupied, huddling together to stay warm, watching a movie on my 2-inch ipod screen and then all of a sudden.. HEAP.

Don't panic. Be cool. Be COOL!! In my breeziest, non-psycho, yet Imogen-obsessed voice, I managed to say her name. Have you ever met a celebrity or someone famous before? It's like an out-of-body experience. My body and mind went numb, and I'm pretty sure I developed a stutter. I managed to ask to take a picture with her, and she reacted disappointed because wasn't dressed or made up at all (I would too)! I felt so bad. So I said, "It's OK! We don't have to! I completely understand..." But she was sweet enough to pose with me anyway. I was able to tell her how ecstatic we were for the show, and how much we adore her. I am so pumped she came out the front of those doors, because I got to MEET HER - but wouldn't she expect to run into some fans?? Well guess what Immi, WE LOVE YOU!


[Imogen Heap and Me - Notice her little stuffed lion, she named Harold!]

After meeting Imogen, and knowing we would be first into the show, we were having the best day ever. Time passed pretty quickly, thanks to some very interesting characters who joined us in our waiting. Oof. Our first fellow-waiter, was strange, Jason Alexander-esque man who persisted on telling us his life story, and the life stories of everyone he knew. I don't know how many times I gave Justin the is-this-dude-for-real look. Haha - annoying, yet oh so entertaining. Some manly women showed up, we talked about our blackberries and our mutual love for Imogen and her previous tours. Finally, the wait was over. The doors opened, and Justin and I were the first ones in. SO WORTH IT.



Her stage was set up with this immaculate cut-out tree, with twinkle lights and of course, her clear piano. Instruments and little props were hanging everywhere, fluffy fur rugs on the floor and inside her piano, and we were front and center. Could the night have turned out any more perfect?? The two openers were very cool - we especially enjoyed Back Ted N-Ted who was the cutest lil' guy with a bowtie and the world's tightest pants. We LOVED loved this dude! He had some really cute lyrics and innovative sounds. He even had a little dance party in the middle of the floor and jumped right down next to us!


[Back Ted N-Ted]

Tim Exile was super entertaining as well - He DJ'ed and mixed some crazy things, like sounds of people in the crowd that he recorded eating potato chips! He used this insane joystick device to speed up and control all of his beats.. I can't even really explain it. For one of his songs, he passed around his mic and looped a bunch of sounds from the crowd and I threw a little "woop woop" in there! Ohh, nerd!


[Tim Exile]

Since I have seen Immi perform before, I knew how amazing this show would be, but this was Justin's first time. Her music, style and everything already sets her apart from every other musician. Seeing her perform, is a whole other story. It's art. Everything is one-of-a-kind, made from scratch. Her layering and looping is just so fascinating to me (can't you tell?? Haha)! Aside from her genius skill, she is friendly and sweet. Her performances are not like a concert in a venue, but more like a friend showing you some sweet music in her living room. She talks (with her sweet London accent) and interacts with the crowd, she's silly and kept doing little spins and I love how she explains how she makes and captures her sounds. Justin noticed she had microphones attached to both of her wrists, which she later explained help catch certain sounds she needed. I love how she introduces each opener and her cellist, Yoosung (who we also met before the show!) - She just has a very selfless demeanor about her, and I really admire that. Oh, and by the way.. The stuffed lion (Harold, teehee) she was holding in the picture above? She somehow pinned it into her hair (woven in with the usual feathers and sparkles) for the show! How can you not love her??

Anyway, the show was absolutely phenomenal. I could of held onto her legs the whole time if I wanted to - but that would have been wierd, haha! I was able to capture some pretty amazing pictures and videos.. Enjoy!


[She opened with "First Train Home" - She came out on stage, making music on the rim of a wine glass filled with water aka "glass harp"]


[Capturing sounds on her wrist microphones]


[Her stage is like a fairytale..]


[I am just completely adore her piano]


[Performing "Come Here Boy" - Ahhh.]


[Immi and her Cellist, Yoosung, getting ready to play "Aha!" (One of my FAVES)]


[Performing the last portion of "Aha!" - SO GOOD!]





[Rocking out with shades and her sweet Keytar! She even ended the song with a big rockstar split/jump in the air!]


[Performing her incredible "Hide and Seek" for the encore. Perfection.]

Imogen's Website


Listen to Imogen

[Lyrics: Imogen Heap - Headlock]


xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails