Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Life is Precious

I watched Precious last night for the first time.



Hoohh man, it was pretty intense. I have been wanting to see it for since it was in theaters, especially after all the nominations and awards it's received. After I saw it, I didn't really know what to think or feel, because it was so exhausting, horrific and achingly emotional. I think it affected me the way it did, because of the children I work with, their families, their stories and backgrounds.. It's heartbreaking. The movie was very realistic to me - I expected it to be pretty heavy, but it was much more than I thought. I'm glad I saw it though. I was talking to my friend (and co-worker) about it today.. She had said she's never wanted to see it - because of our jobs and what we do (which totally makes sense). That's exactly why I wanted to see it.. maybe because I could relate with so many of the cases I deal with, or see the reality in it.

I remember years ago, I read a Memoir by Dave Pelzer called "A Child Called It" --  Another story of abuse and hate, I remember sobbing as I read. I don't understand how these things actually happen.. even to children I am currently and have previously worked with. It infuriates me.

Based on a novel, the story of Clareece 'Precious' Jones (played by Gabourey Sidibe) is devastating. 16-year old Precious experienced physical, emotional, verbal and sexual abuse, is pregnant with her 2nd child and is somehow surviving on just fantasies of courage, happiness and of a better life. It reminded me of so many of my client's cases...struggles with self esteem, feeling angry, hopeless.


Gabby was nominated for an Oscar for 'Best Actress' for her incredible acting and ability to make you feel what you do when you watch this movie. Precious' mother, Mary (played by Mo'Nique - and won an Oscar for 'Best Supporting Actress') was almost unrecognizable. And speaking of unrecognizable, Mariah Carey played the role of a drab social worker, without an ounce of makeup on. The acting was outstanding. I guess now, after seeing this movie, I have an even greater motive to reach out to my clients/kids who are victims and feel completely worthless. As exhausting and devastating and foul as the movie was, there was a managable amount of lightness to keep a sense of escape or hope.

Life is precious, and I often take it for granted. I have it so made, how dare I complain about pointless and petty things. God has blessed me more than I can even imagine. I don't even deserve to be alive. What a gift.

Check out the trailer if you haven't seen it yet -- It's worth seeing, even just for the indescribable acting, emotions, reality and gratitude it brings.



[Click photos for source]


xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails