Thursday, June 30, 2011

Soundtracks: Hellooo, Summer!

Hellooo, Summer! I can't believe summer is here and I'm actually enjoying it in Minnesota for the first time in 4+ years. Summers here are SO different from summer in South Carolina. I know everyone thinks it's freezing her every day of the year, but it actually does get pretty hot and humid. Definitely a little more bearable than SC humidity, that's for sure!

Aside from The OC Collection and hundreds of other artists and bands, my favorite summer tunes have to include these next three soundtracks. Each album is very different, but oh-so summer perfect. 

We finally saw (500) Days of Summer last summer/fall with Dan & Stacie. Oh man, I fell in love. I loved the whole attitude of an unconventional "romantic comedy" feel, plus the adorableness (is that a word?) of Zooey Deschanel & Joseph Gordon-Levitt's relationship in the movie.. The music totally made the movie with a little old-school flare with some newer indie artists. I think there was maybe 1 or 2 songs on the album I didn't exactly 'love', but it still fit the movie perfectly. It was great to see Regina Spektor on the album a couple times, as well as being introduced to Temper Trap's "Sweet Disposition" (Augh! SO good!). I was also pleasantly surprised to recognize Carla Bruni - whom I stumbled upon while planning my sister's French/Marie Antoinette-inspired bridal shower last August. 

(500) Days of Summer
Featuring: Regina Spektor, The Smiths, Black Lips, Doves, Hall & Oates, The Temper Trap, Carla Bruni, Feist, Simon & Garfunkel, Wolfmother, Mumm-Ra, Meaghan Smith, She & Him, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Zooey Deschanel and Kevin Michael

Yes, I know Orange County is SO 2002, but the soundtrack will always be one of my faves. A good mix of classic rock-your-face-off tunes with a total summer twist. Love it.

Orange County
Featuring: The Offspring, Social Distortion, Foo Fighters, Cake, Crazytown, Bad Ronald, Brian Wilson, Lit, 12 Rods, Quarashi, Pete Yorn, Creeper Lagoon and Phantom Planet

Another fantastic summer soundtrack is the album from The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Not only is the movie a total chick-flick/daughter-mom classic, but the music chosen for the film is amazing. The album actually always reminds me of my mom.. She surprised me with lots of sweet packages my freshman year in college. One of the packages I received, she sent it to me. Even living in South Carolina, I've grown to love this soundtrack even more, because of the southern (actually Louisiana). A lot of the scenery always reminds me of Charleston. The whole album is a sweet mixture of french meets cajun meets blues.

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood
Featuring: Blind Uncle Gaspard, Vincent & Mr. Green, Jimmy Reed, Ann Savoy, Macy Gray, Taj Mahal, Richard & Linda Thompson, Lauryn Hill, Slim Harpo, Ray Charles, Alison Krauss, Mahalia Jackson, Tony Bennett, Bob Dylan and Bob Schneider


xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails