Sunday, January 23, 2011

Soundtracks: For the Love of Musicals

I'm not a huge musical buff, but there are a few that I definitely enjoy. I like The Sound of Music, Singing in the Rain, Oklahoma, Moulin Rouge and Sweeney Todd: Demon Barber of Fleet Street, but I'd have to say my top 3 favorite soundtracks go to Across the Universe, Chicago and Walk the Line (musical-ish).

I remember when I first saw the trailer for Across the Universe. It was so intriguing and some parts almost looked weird. Basically, it's a movie with a plot based completely on Beatles songs. The whole idea was pretty cool and original. I'm not even exactly a HUGE Beatles fan, but I do like a lot of their songs.. I even like some of songs on the soundtrack more than some of the originals (don't hate me!). We ended up seeing it a couple times in theater and really loved it.

 Across The Universe
Featuring: Jim Sturgess, Evan Rachel Wood, T.V. Carpio, Joe Anderson, Carol Woods & Timothy T. Mitchum, Joe Cocker, Dana Fuchs, Secret Machines, Bono, Eddie Izzard and Martin Luther McCoy


Uhh hello! 1920's-era Chicago jazz? Yeah, baby! This movie totally kicked and the soundtrack kicked even more. The cast was perfect for the 2002 remake (originally 1975) and each song fits the film like a glove. This one's definitely on my To-See-On-Broadway list.

 Chicago
Featuring: Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renee Zellweger, Richard Gere, Colm Feore, John C. Reilly, Queen Latifah, Taye Diggs, Diedre Goodwin, Susan Misner, Christine Baranski, Rick Negron and Danny Elfman


Since I first met Justin, he's always been a huge fan of Johnny Cash. I used to hear his songs and think, "ehh..". Not my immediate preference. I think when I was little, his name always reminded me of money.. or.. cashews (don't ask me how I even knew what cashews were when I was little). It kind of became a tradition of ours to 'rock out' to Johnny on our late-night trips home from the beach.. a way to keep us up during the 3-hour drive. I've slowly grown to enjoy Johnny Cash more and more, and especially more since Walk the Line came out. Yeah, Joaquin Phoenix may have gone off the deep end (or didn't he?), but his performance as Cash was pretty incredible (Reese was amazing, too!). With all that said, I absolutely love this soundtrack.

Walk the Line
Featuring: Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, Waylon Malloy Payne, Tyler Hilton and Shooter Jennings


xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails