Friday, January 22, 2010

Can I Get Another Box of Kleenex, Please?

I watched Kramer vs. Kramer for the first time today. I have heard the title many times, and again recently when I heard it referenced in I Am Sam. I am ultra-emotional when watching movies, especially the tear-jerkers. Well, Kramer vs. Kramer just made it to my long list of movies that make me bawl like a baby.

To name a few.. I Am Sam, The Notebook, Braveheart, Sleepless in Seattle, Hotel Rwanda, It's A Wonderful Life, Saving Private Ryan, Shindler's List, Slumdog Millionaire, The Truman Show, Armageddon, White Squall, Under the Tuscan Sun, Premonition, Steel Magnolias, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Titanic, Forrest Gump, World Trade Center, Legends of the Fall, City of Angels, Passion of the Christ, Cinderella Man, The Color Purple, Man On Fire, Marley & Me, Revolutionary Road, Changeling, Nights in Rodanthe, John Q, The Green Mile, Apocalypto, Atonement, The Patriot, Seven Pounds, My Girl, P.S. I Love You, A Walk to Remember, Pay It Forward, At First Sight, Romeo + Juliet, Stranger Than Fiction, Ghost, Sweet November.. Aside from just MOVIES, I lose it every single time I watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Doesn't matter when I turn it on, I cry my eyes out. Maybe it's the chimes and sparkly music they add in there for effect. Don't even get me started on commercials. There are some commercials that get me so good, it's like a mini-movie that rips my heart out with no mercy. Is there something wrong with me??

Kramer vs. Kramer was nominated for 51 awards of which 36 awards they won. Academy Awards include Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Director and Best Writing/Screenplay. Uh, I'd say this movie is worth seeing. Not that we need the Oscars to tell us that Meryl Streep and Dustin Hoffman are unbelievable actors (huge fan of both!), this movie had me crying like an infant. I really didn't know what it was about, the first few times I had heard of it. In fact, I thought it was going to be totally different, like the maybe the kid's mom or dad dies from a terminal illness or something. Wrong!


Based on the novel by Avery Corman, the the movie came out in 1979 demonstrating the impact of divorce and battle for child custody. Turns out, when Hoffman was offered the role, he was going through a divorce of his own. At first he turned it down, but later decided he wanted it. You can totally feel the pain going on between the characters - especially Dustin Hoffman's character. As usual, he improvised a lot of his lines and behaviors to enhance his role and I think he deserved that Academy Award for Best Actor x10. Meryl Streep's performance was incredible, as well, even as the supporting role. I think this movie really affected me so much, because most of my client (children) are from broken/violent/disrupted/abusive homes. It's heartbreaking. Aside from Kramer vs. Kramer being a mega tear-jerker, it's totally worth seeing. So if you can handle a good cry, check it out.



What other movies jerk your tears??

xo


[Photos - Various Sources]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails